Lemon rice, known as Nimbekai Chitranna in Kannada, is one of the most commonly made mixed rice varieties in Karnataka. Chitranna ( meaning "mixed rice" in Kannada) is a speciality of Bangalore-Mysore regions of Karnataka. It is usually made during festivities and certain special occasions..... You usually get to hear people saying
"Ivattu, nanna magalu hostel inda manege bandidaale. Adikke, Chitranna-payasa maadidde!!" meaning, my daughter is back from the hostel today, So I made Chitranna-Payasam.... Or
" Ivattu habba alwa, adikke chitranna maadidde" meaning, I made chitranna for the festival today.... :)
What I am trying to say is this - mixed rice varieties, called chitranna or bhaat, is synonymous with festivities and celebrations in Karnataka. Lemon rice is the most famous among them all. There are different ways of making it. While all versions taste great, here's the one that I like most. It also makes for a splendid one pot meal! Off this goes to FIC-Yellow event happening at Tongue Ticklers...
2 cups cooked white rice
1/4 cup Grated coconut, fresh/frozen
1/2 a medium sized Onion, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp Lemon juice
2-3 Green Chilies
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Sugar
Salt as per taste
Cilantro for garnishing
2 tsp Oil/Ghee
1/4 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
2 tsp Peanuts
1 tsp Urad-Chana dal mixture
A generous pinch of Hing
- Grind coconut, green chilies, mustard seeds and turmeric to a coarse mixture; ; DO NOT add any water while grinding; Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan; temper with all the ingredients mentioned above; Add finely chopped onions and saute until they turn translucent.
- Add the coconut-green chili masala and stir-fry for a minute; Saute continuously and keep in mind not to burn the masalas.
- Add cooked rice, salt, sugar and mix well.
- Switch off the stove; Add lemon juice and toss until it mixes evenly.
- Adjust ingredients according to taste; Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Prep Time: About 20-25 mins;
Serves: 2-3 people;
A reminder and an update on the Chutney/Dip Mania....
Just 2 weeks left for you to send in your entries for the "Chutney/Dip Mania" event, people!!!! After all the wonderful entries that you guys have been sending, I have decided to give away a PRIZE to the best entry!!!! I will put up a poll after the event closes and all you Mane Adige readers can vote and pick the winner.... This is just a rough idea, and the exact plans on short listing the entries are yet to be finalized. Sounds okay, so far??!?
So, rush in your entries on or before Feb 15th 2009.... :)