Before starting off with the recipe for today, I would like to say sorry to you folks for disappearing suddenly without even leaving a note. Past couple of weeks have been really busy for me and Naveen. "Busy", not in the literal sense.... It's just that our MINDS have been busy thinking and thinking about matters that aren't really in our hands! :-) So finally, I decided to get over all that and start blogging again. And I must tell you.... I am enjoying blogging today more than anytime before!!!
Anyway, I have for you the recipe for Maavinakaayi Chitranna (Raw Mango Rice). This is another traditional Karnataka recipe which is every kannadiga's favourite! It is usually made for festivals and such occasions. This dish tastes best when the mango is tangy. Maavinakayi Chitranna along with Kadle Bele Payasam is a very nice combo.... You can click on -> "Kadle Bele Payasam" for the recipe. Enjoi!
1 Raw Mango
1/2 cup Coconut, grated
1-2 tsp Menthya Kaalu / Methi seeds
2-3 Dry red chillies - Low spiced
A pinch of hing
1 cup Rice
2-3 tbsp Peanuts
1 tbsp Chana - Urad Dal mixture
2-3 tsp Oil
3-4 Curry leaves
1 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt as per taste
- Peel and grate the raw mango; Keep aside. Cook rice such that each grain is separate and keep aside.
- Dry roast the red chillies, methi seeds, hing and powder them in a blender. Grind it along with grated coconut. DO NOT add water while grinding. Add half the quantity of grated raw mango also, while grinding.
- Heat oil in a kadai; Temper with haldi, mustard seeds, peanuts, chana- urad dal mixture, curry leaves.
- Add the remaining grated raw mango and cook for a while until all the water content evaporates. Add the above prepared masala and cook for about 2 mins. Add salt and mix well. Tip: This mango chutney can be preseved in the refrigerator for almost a week. So if you keep the chutney ready before-hand, all you have to do at the last minute is making rice and mixing it with the chutney!! And this chutney tastes really good with dosas and akki rottis too!!
- Add cooked rice to the above chutney and serve hot!!