One of the many things about India that I miss here in the US is the sweet and juicy mangoes!! Almost every time I see mangoes in the stores, I pick up a couple of them hoping that atleast some time they might turn out to be good.... But I am disappointed every time :-(. I'm sure many of you have been through this too!! But that doesn't put my spirits down.... I still go ahead and make my favorite dishes with these "not so sweet and not so juicy" yellow beauties by adding some extra sugar!! Here is one such famous mango dish, called Rasaayana (pronounced as Rasaaina) in Kannada or more commonly known as Aamras all over India. Here is the recipe... Enjoi!
2nos Mangoes (medium sized)
1/2 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Powdered Cardamom/Elaichi
8-10 Cashews soaked in warm water for about 30 mins
1/2 tsp Ghee/Clarified butter
1-2 tsp mixed nuts(cashews/almonds) and raisins
Sugar, as per taste
- Peel the skin off the mangoes and chop the pulp into very tiny pieces;You could even mash the pulp coarsely with your hands; Add sugar, elaichi, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and add the nuts and raisins. Roast them for a minute and add to the mango mixture.
- Grind the soaked cashews to a smooth paste with some milk and add to the mango mixture; Cashews give thickness and richness to the rasaaina.
- Just before serving, add the milk and mix well; Make sure NOT to add milk much ahead of time... The milk would curdle if the mangoes are very sour.
- Pour into individual bowls and serve with pooris/chapatis or as a dessert.
Variation:You could even add coconut milk instead of ordinary milk. This gives it a completely different flavor and taste.
Prep Time: About 10 mins
Serves: 3-4 people
Other Mango dishes on Mane Adige...