About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Maavina Hannu Rasaayana / Aamras

One of the many things about India that I miss here in the US is the sweet and juicy mangoes!! Almost every time I see mangoes in the stores, I pick up a couple of them hoping that atleast some time they might turn out to be good.... But I am disappointed every time :-(. I'm sure many of you have been through this too!! But that doesn't put my spirits down.... I still go ahead and make my favorite dishes with these "not so sweet and not so juicy" yellow beauties by adding some extra sugar!! Here is one such famous mango dish, called Rasaayana (pronounced as Rasaaina) in Kannada or more commonly known as Aamras all over India. Here is the recipe... Enjoi!

Ingredients:

2nos Mangoes (medium sized)

1/2 cup Milk

1/2 tsp Powdered Cardamom/Elaichi

8-10 Cashews soaked in warm water for about 30 mins

1/2 tsp Ghee/Clarified butter

1-2 tsp mixed nuts(cashews/almonds) and raisins

Sugar, as per taste

Method:

  1. Peel the skin off the mangoes and chop the pulp into very tiny pieces;You could even mash the pulp coarsely with your hands; Add sugar, elaichi, mix well and keep aside.
  2. Heat ghee in a small pan and add the nuts and raisins. Roast them for a minute and add to the mango mixture.
  3. Grind the soaked cashews to a smooth paste with some milk and add to the mango mixture; Cashews give thickness and richness to the rasaaina.
  4. Just before serving, add the milk and mix well; Make sure NOT to add milk much ahead of time... The milk would curdle if the mangoes are very sour.
  5. Pour into individual bowls and serve with pooris/chapatis or as a dessert.

Variation:You could even add coconut milk instead of ordinary milk. This gives it a completely different flavor and taste.

Prep Time: About 10 mins

Serves: 3-4 people

Other Mango dishes on Mane Adige...

Mango Something!

Mango Ice Cream

Raw Mango Rice

Menaskai

26 comments:

TBC said...

I miss the sweet and juicy mangoes too. There's a Kerala dish- pulissery that needs it and I sometimes have to add sugar.

Aamras looks so good. I would love to have this with pooris.:-)

TBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

That is one mouthwatering dish up there. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Dhivya said...

great and moutheatering dis:)love these

Uma said...

Yum, yum, yum, delicioso! Looks so good. Nice picture.

Seema said...

Sweet juicy mangoes are really missed....I agree with u Ramya! But we have found our own different preparation methods, right? Some way to please our pallett!! Amras looks great.. I love Puri & Amras combo .

Namratha said...

Wow, looks sinfully delicious!!! I love mangoes, can't wait to try this when I lay my hands on fresh ones :)

Kalai said...

What a perfect dessert! I'd love this anytime! :)

Seena said...

You have many mango dishes here, Ramya..
I know rasayana, but we call it for some medicines..
I love to make this with coconut milk.. :)

Sig said...

oh wow, what a yummy recipe... I too have gotten used to using sugar with these mangoes or just buying mango nectar for most desserts :(

Red Chillies said...

Now that spring is around the corner, what a beautiful way to start it. Looks delicious Ramya!

Raaga said...

I made this last year... with coconut milk... absolutely delish dessert :-)

EC said...

Mango season is round the corner and ur dish comes at the right time

sra said...

I've had this once, your post makes me want it again.

Jayashree said...

Nice recipe.....and it comes at the right time too....

Bharathy said...

Thank you Ramya for visiting!:)..I think you are there for the first time! :) warm welcome!..
Used to be a 'ghost reader' here so far...but haven't dropped by since a few months! :)

The season for mangoes is catching up here..will surly gibe a try to this great recipe!..Love it! :)

Rachel said...

that looks thick and creamy!

SMN said...

Hey Ramya.. this is is really nice and i blogged it long back i just chopp the mango and add coconut milk and try to add mango ice cream ita a great combo..

Vaishali said...

Ramya, your post on missing mangoes definitely touched a chord. I have longed years and years to have an Alphonso, but despite all that hoopla about finally importing it to the US last year, I've yet to find one at my local Indian store. Your aamras looks delectable.

Suganya said...

This is so mouthwatering...Love it...Nice picture....YUM!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Hi Ramya

Me 2, i miss maavina hannu so much here :(...

Looks tasty aamras...

Rupa said...

Ramya, Mavina hannina rasayana is Mouthwatering....Miss the true taste of mangoes here

Archana Doshi said...

oooo.. delish! I love mangoes and aamras is something which we never miss out on everyday meals. In the US, the mexican mangoes were pretty good, ofcourse not as much variety as the indian, but surely we enjoyed them while we were there in Boston. Now back in India, waiting for the mango season to start in full swing.

Priyanka said...

Ramya, all your recipes are really great....the carrot halwa, the aamras, the bajjis....will come back later for the other recipes.

Archy said...

Lovely rasayana.. Mouth watering pic Ramya!! Today only shall give a try :) !!

Unknown said...

Where did you find good mangoes in US? I see all of them are either reddish yellow or red... Indian store mangoes are not so great.. i so miss rasayana n seekarane.. Yelli tandri neevu?