About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Hurali Saaru / Horse Gram Curry


Hurali saaru has been one of my favourite dishes since I was a kid. Hurali saaru has a tinge of onion flavour in it, which makes it different from the rest of the rasams/sambhars!!!

I haven't got enough time to go shopping for veggies this week and my pantry has nothing but a couple of onions and potatoes. Thats when I got reminded of hurali saaru!! I got the recipe from my mom and made it yesterday. It turned out a little spicy, but the overall taste was very good!!! Hope you like it too!

Ingredients:

1 cup Hurali/ Horse gram, soaked overnight
2-3 tsp Coriander seeds
1/2-1 tsp Jeera
1/2 tsp Black pepper
2-3 Dry red chillies, low spiced
A pinch of hing
3-4 tbsp Grated coconut, Fresh or frozen
1 Onion,small to medium sized
1 tsp Jaggery/sugar
1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1-2 tsp Ghee/Clarified butter
1-2 strands Curry leaves
Salt as per taste


Method:

  1. Dry roast coriander seeds, jeera, black pepper, red chillies and hing until you smell the fresh masala.
  2. Powder them in a blender without adding any water. To this, add the grated coconut, onion and grind it to a smooth paste using water if required; Keep aside
  3. Pressure cook the saoked 'hurali' with some water. Hurali/horse gram takes a little longer to cook.... So, you might have to cook it for a couple of whistles more than usual.
  4. Add the masala from step 2, to the cooked hurali and boil well. Add water to get the required consistency.
  5. Add tamarind paste, jaggery and salt;Boil further. Adjust the taste according to your wish.
  6. Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves; Serve hot with rice and enjoi!!!

Here's wishing all you fellow bloggers and readers and very Happy and Prosperous Deepavali!!!!May you be bestowed with all the happiness and health, this festive season..... The "Soft toy" junta at my home join me in wishing you all a very happy festival!!!! :)

23 comments:

FH said...

Slurp! Ramya, you are making me drool. Going to soak some Huruli kalu today, looks soo good there!:))
Happy Deepavali, those teddy bears are so cute!

Richa said...

that sounds very delicious! i need to get the horse gram soon :)
Happy Diwali to you too sweetie!
btw did u get my last comment?

Chickoo said...

Yummy!! What a coincidence! Nanu idanne madidde monne namma maneli. I sometimes add onions for the seasoning, it gives a very nice flavor.
Happy Deepavali to you too!!

musical said...

So nice to see Hurali saaru! i want this with some hot rice :). Hey, and thanks to you and your soft-toy junta for the lovely wishes-that was soooooo cute :). You too have a lovely Diwali.

cheers,
musical.

Sia said...

its so gr8 to see u resume blogging ramya :) hope u have settled down in a new place and enjoying.
huruli saaru is one of my fav. i haven't cooked it yet. my amma makes amazing saaru.

Seema said...

Ramya - That curry looks great!!I will try it out soon...
Happy Diwali to you & your family.

S said...

wow i really love that horse gram curry with a teaspoon of full cream on side..it shows heaven ..urs look grt....

Swaruchy said...

Cute post Ramya...Loved ur dish too :-) A very Happy Diwali to u and family dear :-)

Bong Mom said...

Happy Diwali to you and your family too

Sig said...

Happy Diwali to you and yours Ramya.. Nice softtoy collection :)

Rachel said...

that's a new one for me.. Thanks for it

FH said...

Happy Deepavali Ramya. Have a great day tomorrow sweetie, hugs to you!:))

Anonymous said...

hey ramya....

happy diwali to u....:)
came acroos ur blog......luv the recipes.....reminds me of home....:) think i know u...wereu in canara.....and before i get all excited and hover over u let me introduce myself......me shabari:) was ur senior in college...( i think! ).....wakay then take care have fun!

Finla said...

Wow I have not had this dishfor ages. Last time i had them i was 20. So that is years ans years....ago.
Lot of time i used to take this with my lunch when i was in school.
Love the dish
Happy Diwali to you and your family.

Cynthia said...

Happy Diwali!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Asha,Richa
Thanx so much!!!

@Chickoo,
hehe :D thats good to know... And wish you a happy Deepavali too!

@Musical,
Thanx so much :) and wish you the same too!!

@Sia,
hey, thanx so much!! :) Yeah, quite settled at the new place... thanx for asking!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Seema, Shati, Sirisha,Sandeepa, Sig, Rachel
Thanx so much! Wish you the same too

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Shabari,

Thanx Shabari.. Wish you and your family a very happy deepavali too!!! Well, yes.. I did my PUC in Canara college and high schooling at St.Agnes. Thats really nice of you to recognize me and leave a note :). I do remember a Shabari but not sure if its you... Did you go to MIT, Manipal after that? I guess I'll know if I see your pic.....

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Happy cook,
:) Sure, try it out!!! Happy Deepavali to you!!

@Cynthia,
Thanx so much Cyn.. Wish you the same too!!!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Hi Ramya

Hegidhira ?

deepavali habba da shubashayagalu :-)

-Mala

KellytheCulinarian said...

Thanks for the recipe, it sounds simple enough that I may be able to recreate it!

Unknown said...

Gonorrhea is one of the most common diseases passed from one person to another during sexual activityInfection with gonorrhea is more common in certain groups of people The highest reported infection rates occur in the following groupsGonorrhea is caused by the Neisseria gonorrhoeae bacteria The infection is transmitted from one person to another through vaginal oral or anal sexual relations

Sowmya said...

I've tried this recipe as is a few times over the last year and its always come out well. A definite keeper.