Ever since I announced the "Chutney/Dip Mania" Event , I have been receiving tremendous response from everyone!!! One of my readers, Nirupama Sundar, sent across this flavorful and healthy ginger chutney recipe as an entry to the event. She even sent across a picture with the recipe.... Thanx so much, Nirupama!! :) This is a great entry! Since she does not maintain a blog, I am posting this entry on her behalf. Here goes the recipe, in her own words...
Chopped Ginger 1 table spoon
Dried Red Chilies (Bedagi) 5 Nos
Curry Leaves 1 Tea Spoon
Broken Urad Dal 2 Tea Spoons
Jeera 1 Tea Spoon
Tamarind 1 small lemon sized
Jaggery 1 Table Spoon
Oil 2 Tea Spoons
Salt to taste
1. Heat Oil in a Kadai.
2. Fry the Red Chillies and keep them aside.
3. Roast Urad Dal and Jeera and keep them aside.
4. In the remaining oil saute the ginger pieces and curry leaves for 2 to 3 mins.
5. In a blender (mixie) add all the above ingredients alongwith Tamarind, Jaggery and Salt (to taste)
6. Grind it to a smooth paste
Mustard - 1/2 Teaspoon
Broken Urad Dal - 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves - Few
Oil - 1 Teaspoon
Make the Tadka with the above ingredients and the chutney is ready to serve.
This is a typical Andhra dish but the Bedagi Chilies are not so hot. Therefore it gives a bright red color to the chutney. You could even use 1/2 tsp of paprika for the color.
Just a week left for the Chutney/Dip Mania Event....... Rush in your entries!!!! :))