Pudi kuttida palya is a kind of sabzi made in Bangalore/Mysore parts of Karnataka. It derives it's name from the masala pudi (meaning powder) that is added to this sabzi.
Remember the masala powder we prepared while making Green Beans Bhaat earlier??!?! Well, we're gonna put it to use today! This palya gets done really fast if you already have the masala ready. Green beans,cabbage, methi leaves, green peppers (capsicum) can also be used instead of eggplants (brinjal).
2 Eggplants . The long purple ones.... Not too sure what they are called
1-1.5 tsp Palya Pudi / Masala powder
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal/Chana dal
3-4 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
1/2 tsp Jaggery
1-2 tsp Oil
A pinch of hing
Salt as per taste
- Chop the eggplants into thin strips of about 1.5in length and soak them in water so that they don't discolor.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and temper with mustard seeds, chana/urad dal, hing and curry leaves.
- Drain the water from the chopped eggplants and add to the pan. Cover and cook until done;Saute frequently.
- When it's half done add salt, tamarind, jaggery, Masala powder and mix well; Add little water if required and cook until done.
- Remove from stove;Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with rotis or rice.
Tip: If you do not have the masala ready, you could use any store bought Vaangibhat or Sambhar powder!!!