About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Aloo Paratha - Oil/Butter/Ghee Free

I happened to be watching Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana the other day and guess what the theme was??!?!!!! Fat free/healthy cooking!!!! :). My regular readers would know why I'm so glad... for the others, eating healthy happens to be my New Year resolution!!! Anyway, coming back to the show... He made a couple of varieties of parathas and one of them was "Jammu ka Aloo Paratha". I modified the recipe a little according to our taste and tried it out immediately. It turned out really soft an tasty..... Better than the ones with oil or ghee!!!! My friends loved it too. So, here's the recipe.... Enjoi!

Ingredients:

For the filling:

1 Medium sized potato- peeled,boiled and mashed

1 Small sized onion, finely chopped

1-2 strands Cilantro, finely chopped

1/2 tsp Chaat Masala

1/4 tsp Chili powder

Salt as per taste

For the dough:

2 cups Wheat flour

2 tbsp Curds

1/4 cup Milk

Salt as per taste

Method:

  1. Mix all the ingredients for the dough in a mixing bowl and knead well. Add water if the milk is not enough; Keep aside for about 15 mins
  2. Meanwhile, mix together all the ingredients for the filling; Adjust the masalas and salt according to your taste. Make sure the potatoes are mashed well.
  3. Pull out small lemon sized balls from the dough and roll them into small/mini rotis with a rolling pin.
  4. Make a lemon sized ball out of the filling and place it in the center of the roti. Quantity of the filling should be the same as the size of the dough that you took in the previous step or a little more.
  5. Cover the filling with the roti from all sides and seal well.
  6. Roll into circular parathas with the rolling pin. Sprinkle dry wheat flour on the paratha if required. Make sure not to apply too much pressure.... the filling would ooze out otherwise.
  7. Heat a tava and cook the parathas on both the sides until done. You don't need to add oil/ghee while cooking. The curds and the milk that we added while kneading the dough makes it soft enough!
  8. Remove from tava and serve hot with curds/pickle or any other side dish of your choice.

40 comments:

Seena said...

am too tempted seeing these porottas every where.can't make one, so ended eating frozen one!:D
great, Ramya.

Unknown said...

hey dear nice paratha and sprout moong salad, good resolution u made:) Happy new year to you and naveen too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramya,

Your parathas and the kosambri looks fabulous..

My new year resolutions is also that :) . I am Trying to cook low cal healthy food as much as possible but running out of ideas sometimes..
Would be looking forward for more of your low cal healthy varieties..Definetly going to try that yumm kosambri..

Paru

musical said...

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones, Ramya! This is a cool recipe!

Roopa said...

allo paratha :) looks great! happy new year ramya :)

amna said...

my all time fave :)

Raks said...

Without oil and ghee? That souds great!

FH said...

Hi Ramya, no fat! That is great and looks yummy. I need those after all the sweets I have been eating!!:)

Finla said...

Happy Newyear.
Allo paratha looks delicious. I have never made them, even though i have hear they are really delicious.One of these days i am going to make them.

EC said...

Wow...parathas without oil or ghee..thats indeed an healthy cooking option and aloo paratha being my fav...i am going to try this very soon..thanks for sharing

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Seena,
Thanx!!

@RV,
oh, thanx so much... New YEar wishes to you n yours too

@Paru,
Very true... Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that I stick to it as much as possible! :)

@Musical,Roopa,
Thanx girls!!! :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Nags,
Mine too!! :)

@Raks Kitchen,
oh yeah, tasted gr8 too...Thanx :)

@Ashakka,
CAnt say theres abs no fat coz of the milk and the yogurt. But hapy that theres no ghee atleast :D

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Hapy Cook,
Sure... do try it out sometime. I'm sure you'll love them

@Easycrafts,
Thanx! :) Sure, try it out sometime n let me know....

Latha said...

Looks delicious ramya! coming over to your place :-)

Rajitha said...

yumm..it sure looks delicious...my mom and sis never put any fat in theirs....but i do..gotta stop that!

Richa said...

hey, parathas look so good, my fav :) so any more sanjeev kapoor recipes coming our way :)

sra said...

Hi, actually, I came over to tell you that the salad looks lovely and my stomach's growling at the sight of it!

Archana Doshi said...

Lovely parathas and that too healthy. I usually add the fat for my kids and end up eating their left overs, which i am working hard on not doing !
Thanks for sharing this recipes and inspiring me more on trying to not eat their left overs. I am a nutrition freak myself, so love all kinds of health recipes.
Archana

Seema said...

Ramya - Nice parathas.. Looks yummy!! Without oil / ghee - great.They look so perfect & golden brown.

bee said...

they look absolutely delicious. we always make it dry, like this.

Sagari said...

wonderfull ramya paratha with out oil so healthy nice one

Red Chillies said...

Great idea Ramya especially since this does not require oil or fat. Yummy

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Latha,Rajitha,
Thanx girls!

@Richa,
ummm....well, lets see! u might, in case he comes up w/ another healthy cooking episode :)

@Sra,Seema,
Thank you! :)

@Archana,
Glad I could motivate you.... Yeah, thats what happens usually. u make the fatty ones for someone else, but end up eating it urself. I'm trying to cut down on that too!!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Bee,Sagari, Red chillies,
Thanx so much! :) You should try it out sometime....

Grihini said...

looks delicious..:)

Laavanya said...

The aloo parathas look great.

Anonymous said...

Parathas is all I see in the blog space now..I suck at making them..they always turn hard! Yours look lovely1

Nupur said...

Love the recipe...I have got to try this soon!

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe.Looks like an healthy one without adding oil . you got perfect color in those parathas.I never got this color. :-)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Grihini,Laavanya,Rachel,
Thanx girls! Glad you liked them... :)

@Nupur,
Thanx so much! :). Sure, try it out n let me know!

@Shriya,
Thanx Shriya. I guess you are here at my blog for the first time... Welcome! Thanx for dropping by n leaving a comment

Shimogait said...

I have decided in 2008 I am not gonna eat anything that does not have "Oil/Butter/Ghee"!!! I hate anything thats Fat free...

Thanks for the recipe BUT I will make it with oil ghee.. he he he

EC said...

I tried these out...it tasted so nice..have posted it in my blog too..here is the link

http://simpleindianfood.blogspot.com/2008/02/aloo-paratha-oil-freeghee-free.html

thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

I tried your recipe, especially making the dough with milk and the parathas were really very soft. I just loved your recipe.

anish said...

thats marvelous...:)
gonna try asap....thanks for the reciepe n plz keep posting similar healhty food recipes:)

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/barbetta-restaurant-week-menu.html]barbetta restaurant week menu[/URL]

Good Gynecologist in Anna Nagar said...

This looks incredible! It is seriously one of my favorites. Thank you so much for posting this, it is bookmarked!

Kavya said...

Hi Ramya,
I arrived at your blog through some links in the wellness site on my company website. Ur recipes are awesome! I love the way you present each of them carefully which makes the preparation methodical and very easy. I have penned down all my favourites and am gonna try them out on my husband one by one! ;)
I make alu parathas often but the sealing of the filling in the dough is never perfect and the parathas end up torn. Can you please suggest me the best way of sealing the parathas before rolling them?
I know this is a very old article. But please do reply :(
Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh yes I need to try this recipe! Looks delish!
Chowringhee Kamla Nagar

Unknown said...


nice blog ! it is my first time visit i here. looks for delicious. aloo paratha with ghee , especially aloo paratha, i loves aloo paratha.

thankyou for shearing this information with us!chowringhee satyaniketan

Anonymous said...

I Really love and use organic spices to create different kinds of recipes