Hello everybody! Hope you all had a great weekend.... Weekend was good for me. Didn't do anything much apart from lazing around and wasting time :). I had big plans of trying out a lot of new dishes over the weekend, but nothing worked out, as usual :).
One of my readers had requested for this thondekai-chana palya recipe long back, and I finally got myself to make it yesterday! I am really sorry about the delay. This recipe is a Mangalore - Udupi speciality. I was making it for the first time yesterday and I completely relished it!!! Hope you like it too.....
1 cup Tindora/Thondekai, chopped
1/2 cup Kabuli Chana/ Chick peas, soaked in water overnight
1/2 cup Grated coconut
2-3 Dry red chillies (low to mediumm spiced)
1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp Jeera
2 -3 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
4-5 Curry leaves
1 tsp Lemon juice
A pinch of haldi
A pinch of hing
Salt as per taste
- Pressure cook tindora and chana separately until they are cooked; It took me about 2 whistles. Note: Cook chana in salt water. However, tindora can be cooked without water.
- Powder the dry red chillies, jeera and coriander seeds in a mixie. After they are powdered, add grated coconut and churn them further without adding water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard seeds, haldi, hing and curry leaves.
- Add the masala mixture prepared in step 2 to the tadka and saute for a while.
- Add cooked tindora and chana; Add salt and mix well.
- Remove from stove and add lemon juice; Serve hot with rice or rotis!