About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Tindora - Chana Sabzi / Thondekai - Kadle Palya


Hello everybody! Hope you all had a great weekend.... Weekend was good for me. Didn't do anything much apart from lazing around and wasting time :). I had big plans of trying out a lot of new dishes over the weekend, but nothing worked out, as usual :).
One of my readers had requested for this thondekai-chana palya recipe long back, and I finally got myself to make it yesterday! I am really sorry about the delay. This recipe is a Mangalore - Udupi speciality. I was making it for the first time yesterday and I completely relished it!!! Hope you like it too.....

Ingredients:

1 cup Tindora/Thondekai, chopped
1/2 cup Kabuli Chana/ Chick peas, soaked in water overnight
1/2 cup Grated coconut
2-3 Dry red chillies (low to mediumm spiced)
1/2 tsp Coriander seeds
1/2 tsp Jeera
2 -3 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
4-5 Curry leaves
1 tsp Lemon juice
A pinch of haldi
A pinch of hing
Salt as per taste

Method:

  1. Pressure cook tindora and chana separately until they are cooked; It took me about 2 whistles. Note: Cook chana in salt water. However, tindora can be cooked without water.
  2. Powder the dry red chillies, jeera and coriander seeds in a mixie. After they are powdered, add grated coconut and churn them further without adding water. Keep aside.
  3. Heat oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard seeds, haldi, hing and curry leaves.
  4. Add the masala mixture prepared in step 2 to the tadka and saute for a while.
  5. Add cooked tindora and chana; Add salt and mix well.
  6. Remove from stove and add lemon juice; Serve hot with rice or rotis!

17 comments:

FH said...

Ramya,lazing around is a great way to spend weekend! We had to pamper the dad,went bowling and cooked something special for Arvind.Don't want to cross the dad on his day!;D
Palya looks delicious,I want to try.But I am little confused about which Chana did you use.Is it Chana dal(Kadalebele) or Brown chana or Kabuli chana? Looks like Chana dal but I want to make sure:))

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Asha,
Thanx Asha! haha :) yeah.... I wishes my dad over oh too.
And yeah, thanx for asking.. I used Kabuli chana. looks like I forgot to mention it in the post. Will go and update it right away!

Sia said...

lazying around sounds too good:)
hey ramya, this is tondekai butti right? i remember one of my konkani friend getting this to school with chapati and dalitoy... mmm...delicious... thanks for the recipe, i was looking for it:)

Prema Sundar said...

channa with tindora is a new combo and I am sure looking from the picture it would have tasted yummy.

FH said...

Thanks Ramya,just came back to check about Chana!:)) Have fun.

Sharmi said...

yummy looking Palya. nice picture. feel like tasting some.

Roopa said...

hmm ramya palya looks delicious. nice combo with kabuli channa.

archana said...

Thats a nice n different combination. Chana and tindora must be tasting gr8 together. Thanx for sharing this lovely recipe :)

Anonymous said...

Thats a very nice recipe :). One of my reader was asking a dish with chana and thondekayi. May be this was the one. I am going to try this soon

Cynthia said...

I've never had Tindor before but anythin with chana is good enough for me :)

Richa said...

hey, dish looks nice, i had posted tindora & kala chana combo sometime back, now i'll try this combo as well. these dal-veg combo are so tasty, right :)

Viji said...

Ramya, somehow i don't like this veggie alone. But seeing your post i should start using it again keeping the nutrients in mind. Very nice. Tks for sharing. Viji

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Sia,
Not too sure what its called, Sia... I just call it thondekai-kadle palya! :)

@Prema, Sharmi,
Thans girls! Glad you liked it... :)

@Roopa,Archana,
Thanx girls! Yeah... Tindora-chana is a very nice combo. You should try it sometime :)

@Shilpa,Cynthia,
Thanx there! :) Glad you liked it...

@Richa,
You are right, Richa... Dal-veggie combo is really lovely. I enjoy it too :)

@Viji,
awww... I think you should try it couple of more times, viji. you'll definitely start loving this veggie!! :) Glad you liked this recipe...

Anonymous said...

THank you..thank you..very very much...i have been in seaqrch of this recipe from last 8 yrs..i love this tondora recipe...u are such a sweet girl....

regrads

Nandu

Anonymous said...

BTW the tindora chana subzi I had had black chana, garlic and tamarind instaed of lime juice...will try ur version

thanks

Nandu

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Anonymous,
Glad you found what you were looking for, on my blog... Well, using back chana and tamarind juice sounds like a nice variation! I'll try it out sometime too! thanx

Anonymous said...

Ramya-never knew you were a pro with cooking in college...this one turned out to be excellent for me. Its a typical tasting recipe served on the banana leaf n we all simply loved it. I've referred ur website to my frens here n they have passed their bunch of thanks to u :-) - Ramya Shetty