About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Friday, June 1, 2007

Kadle Bele Payasa / Chana Dal Payasam



Kadle Bele (Chana Dal) payasa has been my all time favourite among all the payasams that mom used to make at home. As a kid, this was the only payasa that I ate, and so my mom used to make it quite often- for festivals, pujas. Couple of days back, we had another set of friends over for dinner at our place and I had made this payasa. It brought back my old sweet memories!!! Not too sure if my guests enjoyed it.... But I relished it completely!!!!! :). It's fast and really easy to make. Here's the recipe for it.... Enjoi!

Ingredients:

1 cup Kadle bele/ Chana Dal
1 - 1.5 cup Jaggery
2 cups Fresh grated coconut or Thick coconut milk
3/4-1 tsp Rava or Raw rice
1 tsp Ghee
1 tsp Elaichi powder
1-2 tsp Raisins
1-2 tsp Cashews

Method:


  1. Pressure cook chana dal in water and keep aside.

  2. Dry roast the rava until the raw smell disappears and add it to the cooked chana dal. If you are using raw rice, dry roast it and grind it to a smooth powder and then add to the dal. This gives thickness to the payasam.

  3. Add thick coconut milk to the above mixture and boil. If you are using grated coconut, grind the coconut with water to a smooth paste and then boil with the mixture. Add extra water if required. Stir regularly.

  4. Add jaggery and elaichi powder. Roast raisins and cashews in 1 tsp ghee and add to payasam. Mix well and let it boil for some more time. Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.

  5. Serve hot or cold, as desired and enjoi!

Btw folks, check out the new Foodie Blogroll that I have added on the right side of the page. This is an initiative taken by The Leftover Queen to bring together all the food bloggers!!! So, all you fellow bloggers...... rush and send in your links to her!!!

30 comments:

FH said...

Mine too Ramya.Maduve oota=kadalebele payasa!!Ahh..!!!!:)))
Nanagu tumba ishta,madi tumba dinavaytu,madabeku.Thanks for making me crave!;D

Arts said...

Such a simple recipe.. love it! nice presentation!

Mishmash ! said...

I will never say no to a cup of payasam at any point of time....:)

Shn

ServesYouRight said...

oooh - good one!!! bele payasa never fails to please :-)

smita

Anonymous said...

great recipe...never tried this before, sound wonderful...thanks for sharing

Seema Bhat said...

Ramya, Oh kadlebele payasa used to be made for most of the functions at my granpa's place as well and my hubby just loves it very much. Nice presentation Ramya and very authentic recipe.
Hugs
Seema

Chickoo said...

Oh another kannadiga :))
Nim recipe nodi tumba khushi aithu. Asha akka heliro hage nangu ee payasa ista.

Suganya said...

Hay this sounds new to me...It sounds simple..Waiting to try it out..

Prema Sundar said...

one of my neighbor makes payasam with channa dal and i love it.Good one Ramya.

archana said...

The payasam is looking nice and rich.
Good recipe :)

Cynthia said...

So this is like a sweet dal, Ramya?

KF said...

I love Payasams..Nice recipe dear.

K.Boy said...

Ramya, is this also called MadGane in Konkani recipe as prepared commonly in NK/SK area konkanis. If not what are athe similarities. I love this specially this is prepared during Ugadhi(Gudi Padva, Sansaar Padvo)
KB

Prajusha said...

hi ramya,
first time to ur blog. nice pics.i love payasam a lot.In kerala without payasam,no feast:)

Roopa said...

hm... slurp.... nange e payasa thumbne ista ... but not my kids favorite list so rarely cooked now at home

Richa said...

ooh! looks yum, love these sweets with jaggery :)

Sharmi said...

this is my favorite. but never made them myself. will try yours for sure.

Lakshmi said...

Ramyavre, idu nodi habbada oota nenapige banthu. Hage swalpa gasgase (poppy seeds) fry madi, pudi madi hakidre innu superagi iruthe.

Seena said...

Hey Ramya,
I love this paayasam..my kids like it very much..looks tasty..recently tasted a different version of this from a friend's house..will blog my version later..

Raaga said...

we make this around Ganesh Chaturthi every year. I love it. Its nice to see so many common recipes :)

Anonymous said...

Tried your recipe... turned out awesome.. thanks :).

Anonymous said...

How squishy should the chana dal be?

Anonymous said...

Really mouth watering... :)

Pavithra Kodical said...

I love this paysa...In our house we add sabudhana also with Kadalebele...

Anonymous said...

How many people will this ratio serve?
I have make this for 15 people, so help.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Savita,
1 cup of chana dal would make enough payasa for about 2-3 ppl.

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you!!!
[URL=http://superjonn.50webs.com/restaurant-week-brunch.html]restaurant week brunch[/URL]

Jyothi said...

Hi...
It really helped me a lot... as am new to cooking., n today on sankranthi i cud prepare dis simple n delicious kadlebele payasa for my husband.

So thank you so much for the recipe

Ashwin said...

Absolutely delicious!! yummy recipe.
Swadesh Food Recipes
Indian Sarees Online Shopping
Wedding Sarees Online
Designer Sarees Online
Traditional Sarees Online
Cotton Sarees Online
Silk Sarees Online
Online Salwar Kameez
Wedding Salwar Kameez Online
Designer Salwar Kameez Online
Party Wear Salwar Kameez Online
Cotton Salwar Kameez Online
Silk Punjabi Suits Online
Designer Kurtis online
Online Indo Western Apparel

unnati said...

wow festive specials
salwar kameez online | sarees online shopping | buy indian sarees online | saree manufacturers | cotton sarees online | salwar kameez wholesale | designer sarees online