Folks, here's a recipe with methi and toor dal that goes really well with rotis and chapatis. I got this recipe from my mom and made this today for the first time. It turned out really well and I just loved it!!! This will be my contribution to JFI-WBB: Green Leafy Vegetables event.
1 bunch Methi leaves
1/2 cup Toor dal or Channa dal soaked in water for about 2-3 hours.
1 cup Fresh grated coconut
1 Green chilli
1 tsp Jeera
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
1 tsp Lemon juice
1/2 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Oil
A pinch of haldi
A pinch of hing
salt as per taste
- In a blender, coarsely grind the soaked dal, coconut, jeera and green chilli. DO NOT add any water while grinding; The mixture should be a little coarse even after grinding.
- Wash ,clean and chop methi leaves into small pieces. Cook in microwave for about 2-3 mins.
- In a kadai, heat oil, add mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, haldi and hing after the seeds splutter.
- Now add the dal-coconut mixture and let it cook for about 2-3 mins on low heat. Saute frequently.
- Add methi leaves, salt and sugar. Mix well and cook for another 1-2 mins.
- Remove from stove. Add lemon juice and serve hot with rotis/chapatis.
- If methi is not available, you can even use spinach.