'An apple a day keeps the doctor away!' or so it has been claimed. 'But if the doctor is handsome, keep the apple away!!!' ;-)))). Jokes apart....Apples are not just good for health, but they are also very delicious.I have been wanting to try out something new with apples, apart from the usual milkshakes and pies. I finally came up with this recipe and trust me, it tastes out of the world!!! This is my entry for this month's AFAM-Apple.
2 Red apples (medium sized)
1 cups Grated copra (dry coconut)
1.5 tsp Urad Dal
4-5 Dry red chillies (low spice)
1/2 tsp Hing
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
1/3 tsp Tamarind paste
1/2 tsp Jaggery
2 tsp Oil
A pinch of haldi
salt as per taste
- Heat a kadai and dry roast the urad dal, red chillies and hing until you smell the fresh aroma of the masala.
- Powder the roasted masala in a blender without adding water.
- After the masala is powdered, add the grated copra and blend to a smooth paste with some water and keep aside.
- Chop apples into 1" cubes. You can peel off the skin if you want to. But I chose keep it because of its nutritional value.
- Heat oil in kadai and add mustard seeds;Add haldi and curry leaves after the seeds splutter.
- Add the chopped apples and cook covered. Add few spoons of water if required.Saute occasionally. Apples are done once they become tender and the skin changes colour.
- Add the masala-copra paste to the apples and boil. Add water to get the required consistency. Note: The consistency should be a little thicker than the usual sambhar.
- Add tamarind paste, jaggery, salt and boil for another 2-3 mins.
- Serve hot with rice and Enjoi!