Here is one of the simplest and quickest breakfast dish that I have come across. This one gets done in less than 15minutes! It tastes great with a hot cuppa and hence makes for a wonderful tea time snack.
1 cup Thick Poha/Flat Rice
1/2 cup finely chopped Onions
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric/Haldi (optional)
1 strand Curry leaves
1 tbsp Chana+Urad Dal mixture
1 tsp Peanuts/Cashews (optional)
1 Green Chili, chopped finely
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Lime juice
1tbsp grated coconut, fresh/frozen
1 tbsp finely chopped Cilantro (optional)
Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; Temper with mustard seeds, green chili, curry leaves, dal mixture and peanuts.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry until they turn lightly brown in color; Saute regularly.
- Meanwhile, wash and soak thick poha in water for about 3-4 minutes; Drain out all the water and keep aside.
- Once the onions are done, add poha, salt, sugar, grated coconut and mix well; Cook for about a minute or two.
- Switch off the stove; Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
Prep Time: About 15-20 mins;
Serves: 1-2 people;
- Vary the soaking time for poha depending on how soft you want it. Longer you soak, the softer it becomes.
- Use cooked rice instead of poha, and it becomes "Chitranna", a mixed rice variety that makes for a sumptuous one pot meal!!