Hey people...I'm back!!! I had disappeared again for a coupla weeks, hadn't I??!?! Well, I didn't want to, but I got so busy with mom n dad that I could barely make time for anything else!!! Amma-appa landed early last week... They had a safe journey. They didn't have too much of jetlag either, thankfully :). Been busy showing them around Chicago, these days. Have also been relishing amma made food.... All the home made sweets and savories, varieties of pickles, daily morning breakfast.... yummm!!!! I'm loving it all. Amma's adige is the best in the world!!! :) I am trying my best to take pictures of most of the dishes that amma is making. Will post them one by one!
The recipe I have for you today is from the Sirsi-Sagar parts of Karnataka. This authentic recipe is very easy to make and is a perfect accompaniment with some hot steamed rice. Thanx to my friend Sangeeta for having shared this simple yet delicious recipe! :)
1 Large purple eggplant
1 tbsp Grated coconut, fresh/frozen
1 Small Red Onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Amchur powder OR 1 tsp Lime juice
1 tsp Chopped Cilantro, for garnishing
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 Green chilies, slit vertically
1 tsp Chana+Urad Dal mixture
A generous pinch of hing
Salt as per taste
- Pre-heat the conventional over to 350 deg F.
- Smear the eggplant with a few drops of oil; Make a few cuts on the skin of the eggplant with a knife.
- Place the eggplant in an over safe container and bake for about 30-45 mins or until done; Tip: The eggplant is done when the skin shrinks and forms wrinkles all over. You could even poke a toothpick at the center and see if it is cooked completely.
- Remove the eggplant from the oven and let cool for a while; Peel off a thin layer of the skin with your hands and discard.... If the eggplant is cooked well it should come off very easily.
- Mash the flesh of the eggplant with the back of a spoon and discard the stalk.
- Add chopped onions, amchur powder, grated coconut, salt and mix well.
- Temper with mustard seeds, green chilies, dal mixture and hing.
- Serve hot with rice/rotis and enjoy!
Prep Time: About 60-90 mins;
Serves: About 2-3 people;