About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Friday, May 15, 2009

Badanekayi HinDi (Baingan Bharta, the South Indian style)

       

Hey people...I'm back!!! I had disappeared again for a coupla weeks, hadn't I??!?! Well, I didn't want to, but I got so busy with mom n dad that I could barely make time for anything else!!! Amma-appa landed early last week... They had a safe journey. They didn't have too much of jetlag either, thankfully :). Been busy showing them around Chicago, these days. Have also been relishing amma made food.... All the home made sweets and savories, varieties of pickles, daily morning breakfast.... yummm!!!! I'm loving it all. Amma's adige is the best in the world!!! :) I am trying my best to take pictures of most of the dishes that amma is making. Will post them one by one!

The recipe I have for you today is from the Sirsi-Sagar parts of Karnataka. This authentic recipe is very easy to make and is a perfect accompaniment with some hot steamed rice. Thanx to my friend Sangeeta for having shared this simple yet delicious recipe! :)

 

Ingredients:

1 Large purple eggplant

1 tbsp Grated coconut, fresh/frozen

1 Small Red Onion, finely chopped

1 tsp Amchur powder OR 1 tsp  Lime juice

1 tsp Chopped Cilantro, for garnishing

2 tsp Oil

1/2 tsp Mustard seeds

2 Green chilies, slit vertically

1 tsp Chana+Urad Dal mixture

A generous pinch of hing

Salt as per taste

Method:

  1. Pre-heat the conventional over to 350 deg F.
  2. Smear the eggplant with a few drops of oil; Make a few cuts on the skin of the eggplant with a knife.
  3. Place the eggplant in an over safe container and bake for about 30-45 mins or until done; Tip: The eggplant is done when the skin shrinks and forms wrinkles all over. You could even poke a toothpick at the center and see if it is cooked completely.
  4. Remove the eggplant from the oven and let cool for a while; Peel off a thin layer of the skin with your hands and discard.... If the eggplant is cooked well it should come off very easily.
  5. Mash the flesh of the eggplant with the back of a spoon and discard the stalk.
  6. Add chopped onions, amchur powder, grated coconut, salt and mix well.
  7. Temper with mustard seeds, green chilies, dal mixture and hing.
  8. Serve hot with rice/rotis and enjoy!

Prep Time: About 60-90 mins;

Serves: About 2-3 people;

10 comments:

Vani said...

Had not heard of this dish. Sounds yum!

Enjoy the time with your folks and the pampering! :)

Finla said...

Wish i could also hav eyour ammas home made food.
This dish looks yum evne though i have never had them.

Parita said...

Baigan bharta looks delicious...lovely click..love the idea of adding grated coconut and amchur :)

broca's area said...

looks delicious..baayalli neer ilitha ide!!:D

Lakshmi said...

I too love this with chapathi, looks great Ramya.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I havent heard of this dish at all... Looks so yummy, am bookmarking it!!!

amna said...

eggplant, bring it on!

nirupamasundar said...

Ramya, you must be enjoying with ur parents now. This is a nice recipe, I will mail you different versions of mashed brinjal(SMOKED) if you wish. I really enjoy the nice flavour of smoked brinjal

Unknown said...

wow akki rotti jote sakkataagirate yum yum mouthwatering

Sunil HH said...

ee tarkari mathe bele nella swalpa kannaddhalli yelli, cilantrao andhre kothmari :) store ge hogi adhanna nodidh mele gothagodhuu