About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tomato Gojju

       

Hey people!! Hope alls well at your end. Long time indeed...... :) My apologies for having disappeared without even informing. To all my readers who have been mailing and asking me if everything was alright.....Yes, things are great!! Thank you so much for asking :). Past couple of months have been eventful for us, out here. The update from my end is that, Naveen and I  are expecting a new addition to our family in a few months from now!!! :) While we were very happy and excited about entering the next phase of our life, the first few weeks were also a little hard for us to cope with. Terrible nausea and morning sickness had kept me away from the kitchen all this while.... I could not bear the smell of food, leave alone cooking and eating it :D. I only lived on fruits all this while :D Naveen even had to stop using his perfumes 'coz I couldn't bear the smell of it :). Glad that the whole phase is over and am slowly getting back to normal. Will keep updating you guys from time to time, with all the happenings at my end....

Another update is that, my parents will be joining us here in the first week of May!!! :) I am really looking forward to having them over..... You guys could expect some nice "amma- made" dishes and recipes here on Mane Adige, after they arrive!! :)

Will now head straight to today's recipe.... Its a simple side dish that takes very few ingredients and gets done really fast. This gojju tastes great with dosas and chapatis. Make it a little more watery and its perfect with rice as well.... 

Ingredients:

4-5 Ripe tomatoes, medium sized

1 tsp Red Chili Powder + 3/4 tsp Methi powder OR 1-2 tsp Rasam Powder

1 tbsp Jaggery

4-5 Curry leaves

1/2 tsp Mustard seeds

1 - 1.5 tsp Oil

A generous pinch of hing

Salt as per taste

Chopped Cilantro for garnishing

 

Method:

  1. Wash and chop tomatoes finely; Keep aside.
  2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing.
  3. Add the chopped tomatoes and covered for a few minutes; You could add a few spoons of water if the mixture is too dry but usually, tomatoes give out moisture as they cook.
  4. Add salt, jaggery, rasam powder and mix well; Continue to cook until done;If you are using methi seeds, dry roast them for a minute and then powder them in a blender without adding any water.
  5. Add water to attain desired consistency and boil well; Once done, remove from stove and serve hot with rice /rotis/dosas etc.

Prep Time: About 20-25 mins;

Serves: 2-3 people;


32 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all Congrats Ramya, Its very exciting indeed. I was like you as well, as much as I liked eating.. didn't like the smell of it at all.

Tomato gojju looks yum.. enjoy eating.. take care.

Lakshmi said...

Congratulations to both of you :) I had a great rejection towards the smell of rice so I had to eat it warm or cold when it did not smell ooh too many things like that.

Vani said...

That's great news, Ramya! Congratulations! Glad the nausea phase is over. Good that you have your folks coming. I don't know how I'd have managed without mine after the delivery! Enjoy the next few months to the fullest. After the baby is born, it's wonderful but in other ways.

vidhas said...

Congrats Ramya!! Tomato gosthu is yummy.

SMN said...

hey Congrats and take care of urself and njoy the new phase of your life..

Chutney looks good

Deepthi Shankar said...

congrats Ramya .. Take good care

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Congrats Ramya thats a wonderful news... Take good care of yourself dear... I understand how this Gojju came up now ;) slurrp!!! Mouthwatering...

Finla said...

Congragulations. Indeed realy excitng news.
Sorry to hear about the sickness, i am so glad i didn't had them.

FH said...

Congratulations!! Enjoy all the lovely new feelings and your family too.
I personally never had any nausea etc at all except aversion to all kinds of meat! My Lingayat roots came out I guess! Hahaha.

Have fun there.Gojju looks so yummy.

Mangala Bhat said...

congarts Ramaya ....thanks for the simple and delicious recipe ..
take care

nirupamasundar said...

Hearty congratulations Ramya, was wondering why she is conducting a chutney mela? now i understand, what is next? sweet and sour mela?
My small advice is enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can, my neonatology friend says that children of happier mothers are healthier.
A small addition to that gojju is that you can add fine ginger sticks to them along with green chillies. Take care

Anonymous said...

Hey... im glad if "you" feel so about my vadas!!! thank you so much ramya and to chiradeep for his photography...and CONGRATS!

Take care gal.

Anonymous said...

Gojju looks yummy tangy....

Laavanya said...

Hey.. that's great news - Congratulations. Take care.

The tomato gojju looks great.. tangy and easy to make must be a perfect treat when you are pregnant.

Pooja said...

Congrats to both of you :) And the dish looks yummy and tempting :)

Vishali said...

delicious tom gojju and the mangolorean buns.

Uma said...

Congratulations Ramya! Enjoy being pampered during pregnancy! Good that your parents are visiting. Take care!

Tomato Gojju looks great! I would love to have it with rice. Yum!

Reg. your comments on my Upma Pakoda, I also made upma dosa before and blogged about it here:

http://teluguruchi.blogspot.com/2008/12/upma-dosa.html

:)

ವನಿತಾ / Vanitha said...

Hey Ramya..Congrats...Take care..& tomato gojju is my all time fav:-) while travelling, U can keep it few days withour fridge...

Dori said...

Congratulations!!! Now that you are through those sick phases you can start to enjoy your pregnancy :) Good luck! The tomato gojju looks excellent!

Chutneytales said...

Congratulations,Ramya!
Tomato gojju looks so yumm..Tangy dishes like this makes you feel better.Take care!

Spurthi Girish said...

OMMGGG!!!Hearty congratulations Ramya!!! I am sooo very happy for ya!!Nice to know you are getting back to normal! Take gud care of ur health now,i understand Y u asked me to have ur share of mangoes too..heheh :P

Tomato Gojju looks yummy! Its somewhat a special dish for me coz I taught girish to make this curry during our courtship days That too Online seeing each other:D!!!

A_and_N said...

Congrats, Ramya!

Ramya Kiran said...

hey ramya..sakath news..many congrats to u and naveen.gojju recipe is really good..tk care and keep in touch.

chef and her kitchen said...

Congrats Ramya, Thats a great news.Take care..

Thinker said...

wow..tat looks yummy...!

Unknown said...

Congratulations to both you and Naveen!

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Anonymous said...

Hello all
cheap levitra online

Like other erectile dysfunction tablets, some patients experience erection which lasts up to 4 hours.
[url=http://www.radiozenithinter.com/]buy vardenafil[/url]
Vardenafil HCl, its generic name, is initially given at 10 mg approximately 25 – 60 minutes before sexual activity.
http://www.radiozenithinter.com/ - levitra online
You need to inform your medical practitioner if you are on any medications that treat abnormal heartbeat and those with nitrates and other tablets for erectile dysfunction.

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

Anil said...

Nice and simple, tastes good with plain rice and also with chapati.

Anil

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot madam....ur recipes helps a lot for bachelors

mollygrrll said...

I just made this goju and it was fabulous and really quick to make. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for posting it!