Our friends and we were having a get-together, few days back... It was a great one with a lot of people, both known and not-so-known. Everyone seemed busy, catching up with one another and making new friends. In-between all the chattering, we could hear "acccchhhhoooo...."s and "uhhhu... uhhhu"s at regular intervals from every corner of the room :D. That's when I realized that the cold and flu season is here!!!! We come home after the get-together, and Naveen goes "acccchhhhoooo......" :D. Time for some home remedy, I thought!
Black Pepper is considered to have many medicinal values and is one of the best home remedies for cold and congestion. There are different versions of black pepper rasams. The one that I have for you today is the Bangalore-Mysore version of it. I wouldn't say that this rasam tastes great.... but it is not bad either! Medicines usually don't taste good, remember?!?!?? :) Anyway, here's the recipe... Take good care of yourselves and have a safe winter, people!!
1 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 - 3/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 cup Grated coconut, fresh/frozen
1/2 tsp Jaggery/sugar
1-2 tsp Ghee
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
A generous pinch of Hing
Salt as per taste
- Heat a kadai and dry roast the urad dal and black pepper for a minute, or until the dal starts turning lightly golden; Make sure not to burn the dal.
- Powder the roasted dal-pepper mixture in a blender; Do not add any water while powdering.
- Add coconut to the masala powder and grind to a smooth paste; Add water as required.
- Dilute the masala paste with enough water to get the desired consistency.
- Add jaggery, salt and boil well on stove top for a couple of minutes.
- Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and hing; Serve hot with steamed rice.
Tip: This rasam can also be had as is, like a soup!
Prep Time: About 15-20 mins;
Serves: About 2 people;