Appe Huli is a side dish to be eaten with hot steamed rice and is a speciality of Sirsi-Sagar/Malnad regions of Karnataka. Thanks to a couple of my friends from Sirsi-Sagar, I get to try out a lot of Malnad dishes! And I must say that the Malnad recipes are as unique and flavorful as their culture and tradition!! Appe Huli is a fast and simple dish that takes very few ingredients. It is just perfect for the times when you are looking for a change from the usual rasam/sambhar menu. Here is the recipe.. Enjoi!
1 Raw pickling Mango
1/2 tsp Jaggery (optional)
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice (optional)
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Urad Dal
1/2 tsp Chana Dal
2-3 Dry Red Chilies
4-5 Curry leaves
A generous pinch of Hing
- Peel and chop the raw mango into cubes; Add some water,salt and boil well until cooked.
- Remove the Mango pieces into a separate bowl and mash well. Add the water that was used to cook the mangoes and mix well; Add just enough water to bring it to rasam consistency.
- Add salt and mix; If the mango is not sweet enough, you could add some jaggery or sugar; Boil on stovetop for a minute.
- Temper with the chana/urad dal, red chilies, curry leaves and hing; Remove from stove and add lemon juice if the mango is not sour enough;Serve hot with rice.
- You could also use garlic for tempering instead of hing; This would give a completely different flavor to the dish
- Raw Mango Appe Huli tastes so good by itself that you could even have it as a soup!
Serves: About 2-3 people;