About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Golibaje (Mangalore Bajji) and Onion Pakoras

Hey folks, here's wishing you all a very happy Shivratri!!

I woke up to a very sweet mail from one of my friends/readers this morning. Her mail said.... "Ramya, I am in this crazy mood of eating onion pakoras and mangalore bajjias.... the mangalore snacks kinds... So, could you please post the recipe on your blog??!! My baby is waiting!!!!"

This friend of mine is pregnant right now  and I could actually sense in the mail, how eager she was to have them right away :)!! So, I had to push her request right on top of the request list and post it right away.... I hope the rest of you understand!! Will get to your  requests soon.

Onion Pakoras need no introduction.... People from all regions and backgrounds in India are familiar with it and it happens to be the traditional dish of every region in India!!! 

Golibaje, commonly known as Mangalore Bajji  is a traditional Mangalore snack that is made with maida and curds. They are usually eaten with coconut chutney.

Onion Pakoras

Ingredients:

1/2 Big Onion OR 1 Medium Onion (Chopped into think strips of 1" length)

5-6 tbsp Besan/ Kadle Hittu/Gram flour

1 tbsp Rice flour (optional)

2-3 strands Cilantro (Coriander leaves)

1 tsp Red Chili powder

1/4 tsp Baking soda

A pinch of hing

Salt as per taste

Oil for deep frying

Method:
  1. Combine onions, chopped cilantro and salt in a mixing bowl; Mix well with hands and let stand for about 20-30 mins until the onions shed out some water.
  2. Add all the dry ingredients and mix well to form a thick batter; Note: Do not add any water while mixing the dry ingredients. The thicker the batter, the better.... Add a few drops of water only if the moisture from onions is not enough to bind the dry ingredients together.
  3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; Scoop out the batter with a spoon (you can use your hands too) and drop into hot oil.
  4. Fry on both sides on medium heat;Pakoras are done when they turn golden brown in color.
  5. Remove from oil and place on paper towels to drain excess oil. Serve hot with ketchup or any chutney or your choice. Enjoi!

Prep Time: About 40-45 mins

Makes: About 8-10

Golibaje (Mangalore Bajji)

Ingredients:

1 cup Maida

1/2 cup Sour curds

1 tsp Jeera

1-2 Green chilies, finely chopped

1-2 strands Cilantro, finely chopped

1" Ginger, finely chopped

1/4 tsp Baking soda

Salt as per taste

Oil for deep frying

Method:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl such that no lumps are formed. The batter should be thicker than the usual bhajia or dosa batter, but thinner than chapati dough.
  2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; Scoop out small portions of the batter with your hand and drop into oil.Cook on low to medium heat.
  3. Golibaje is done when then turn golden brown in color. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve hot with coconut/green chutney or any other chutney of your choice. Enjoi!

Prep Time: About 20-25 mins

Makes: About 8-10

44 comments:

Srivalli said...

wow wow..my all time favorites!...I think we call this Golibaje as mysore bonda..my that brings back many lovely memories...I got to ask my mom for the recipe!..thanks for sharing yours..I am sure your friend's kid loved this..:)

jayasree said...

Its long time since I made mangalore bonda. Your post is tempting to try it soon. Both pakoras and bondas looks crisp and yummy. Thanks for sharing yours.

Purnima said...

Hey Ramya!Telepathy! Just yesterday I had a passing thought wishing I knew the recipe of 'Golibaje' a lovely memory of eating these savoury bhajiyas outside Krishna temple, Udipi during Rathotsava!! Tksssssssssss a ton for sharing...i didnt know they were refered to as Mangalore bonda! (SO sweet of you to make these to satiate ur friends cravings, all the same, mine have hieghtened!)Happy Mahashivaratri!

FH said...

Didn't know Shicratri is here already and I am a Shaiva!! Shame on me. Oh well..!
Baje and pakoda looks mouthwatering. Don't tempt me at 7.30am!!:)
Enjoy the festival. Arvind and kids don't care about it anyway, still I will make a payasa or something today!:)

Laavanya said...

I've not tried goli baje before but that looks so tempting and pretty easy too. Onion pakodas look perfect too.. Why do you tempt me so? :)

Seema said...

Onion Pakodas - I too made some & posted on my blog yesterday, check it out! Golli Bajje look good. Ages since i made these! My favourite snack...

Richa said...

such tempting goodies, Ramya!
so sweet of ya to post it so quick for ur friend :)

Finla said...

Oh i love fried food and if they are pakoras, then it is heaven.
Never had Golibaje first time hearing about them.
Planning to go to Mysore in our next india trip then i will try there if i see them :-)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Oh fantastic snacks...I'd tried mangalore bajji only once. Thanks for remainding ...will try to make your method...

KonkaniBlogger said...

Yummm, love golibajje with coconut chutney...Reminded me of my Mangalore days..

sra said...

Didn't know the name but I've eaten these golibaje. The onion pakodas look v nice.

Mythreyee said...

I had onion pakodas yesterday in the restaurant. I wanted to search for the recipe, and here you go with a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Pooja V said...

I love golibaje...when i was back home I would eat these very often but havnt tasted it in decades now.

Ramya Kiran said...

hey ramya..wow the recipes look mouth watering..just waiting to get well soon as i am down with flu:( eating only anna saaru at the moment..wil try ur recipes soon..tk care.

Anonymous said...

both look delicious Ramya! i love golibaje, its beena while since i ate themm..i think i'm coming over. :-)

Uma said...

Yum! lovely bajjis and pakodas. You are a good friend!

Kalai said...

Gorgeous onion pakoras! Have never had this type of bajji before, but it looks great, too!

Vaishali said...

Ramya, the bajji and pakoras look stunning. Made my mouth water!

Red Chillies said...

yummy crunchy! I can eat onion pakoras the whole time, but the same I cannot say about Mangalore bhajji. On the other hand my husbnad loves both. Looks good :_)

Sagari said...

manglore bajjis look sooo tempting, we call them as mysore bonda

Lakshmi said...

mangalore bajji n pakoras..um any time!! with a cuppa. They looks crispy and Delicious Ramya.

Meera said...

Looks so delicious! So sweet of you to make it for your friend.

vandana rajesh said...

oh wow, yummy pakodas. feeling hungry already.
There is a link of a recipe exchange that I have received would love to forward it to you. Could u forward me your email id
vandanarajesh2@gmail.com

Pravs said...

wow,beautiful pics with tempting appeal.Have lived in mlore but have not tasted Golibaje.

Unknown said...

Lovely Ramya !! Feel like having from the pics !! I love both golibage and Onion Pakoda.. i can have these endless :D !! as its my home town snack !!
I still remember the way me an my bro calling 'Golibaje' as 'Amoeba'.. as its shape differ from one another :D it was fun !!

musical said...

Golibaje's my favorite! Soft and so fluffy! Yummy! The pakoras look super-delicious too! Fried snacks are always welcom. Am sure your friend is gonna' love these!

Cham said...

I love the mangalore bonda. I guess it is pretty much kannadigas favorite :) the pic looks yum.

Rupa said...

Love fried things anytime,anyday.. I always crave for the corner store pakodas in Bangalore..rather than making at home...miss them so much :(

Laavanya said...

Ramya, I just made the golibajes for a quick tea time snack and it was so easy to whip up. Added some chilli powder and chopped cabbage as well.. it's yummy! :) Thanks

Medhaa said...

Lovely,

I have been looking for magalore bhajji recipe for the longest I remember, I used to always have them in Airlines Hotel in Bangalore and used to be so upset when they did not have them. I have to try them now. Thank you so much

Medhaa said...

I finally got to make them and thank you so much for the recipe We just loved it and it tasted the same as Airlines. I blogged about it you can check it out here.

http://medhaa.blogspot.com/2008/07/mangalore-bajji.html

Sunshinemom said...

I remember having this once a week at one of our office canteens - ages since I left the place but somehow your recipe sounded likes his bajjis:) Very tasty!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog by fluke and I am so glad I did! You have a beautiful site with wonderful, authentic recipes. I am a Mysorean and am thrilled to find recipes from my childhood here. Pls post a recipe some time for karigadubu. Mine aren't crisp even after putting rava. Hope you post it before this year's Ganesha Chaturthi. Keep up the great site!

Anonymous said...

hey ramya! this is how i make it too and it comes out very well the only trick i follow is to add one teaspoon of hot sizzling oil to the batter!

Unknown said...

Hi
I came across your blog recently and i love it.... I love the pukka kannada names for the dishes.. Great job..

Roops

Varsee said...

hey while mixing the batter for mangaore bajji if u add cashew nuts it will taste realy good!
thnks for ur recipie..im gonna make it today evening.

varsee.

Shreeya Dalvi said...

Wow !! Thanks a ton for this recipe, I have been searching for this from long time .. I remember eating Golibaje at my Native place in Udupi at local restaurant.. I will definitely try this recipe ..Thanks a lot for sharing this !!

Anonymous said...

Yummyyy........My mouth is watering looking at Golibaje, mine altime favourite.I'm recalling my school days..When we used to go to school my granny prepare and keep for evening tea. Surely i will prepare for tea time.

Sri said...

I stumbled on this blog while searching for a recipe for Kootu. This a splendid blog. Regarding Goli Baje, I would add a pinch of soda to make the golibaje more fluffy and light. You need to mix all together and keep for a while.Soda reacts with sour curds to release carbon dioxide bubbles in the batter making it light.

Jayashree said...

Just wanted to let you know that I tried your golibaje last evening and it came out extremely well. Thank you for sharing. Do check out my post on it at http://luvgoodfood.blogspot.com/2011/06/mangalore-bonda-golibaje.html

anju said...

so yumm and tempting. as a matter of fact I made this today.

Hasini said...

Wow... those are some drool worthy bondas..yummy!
Swadesh Food Recipes
Indian Sarees Online Shopping
Wedding Sarees Online
Designer Sarees Online
Traditional Sarees Online
Cotton Sarees Online
Silk Sarees Online
Online Salwar Kameez
Wedding Salwar Kameez Online
Designer Salwar Kameez Online
Party Wear Salwar Kameez Online
Cotton Salwar Kameez Online
Silk Punjabi Suits Online
Designer Kurtis online
Online Indo Western Apparel

Chowringhee said...

Wonderful Recipe. Pretty much ideal .. Thanks for sharing...
Restaurant in South Campus

Unknown said...

nice blog
designer wedding sarees| best saree websites| party sarees online| latest designer sarees| latest designer salwar kameez