About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mixed Vegetable Saagu

Scene I : Just a week after the wedding, Mother-in-law and the new Daughter-in-law of the house are watching TV and having a conversation after dinner....

MIL: What shall we make for breakfast tomorrow?

DIL: Anything is okay...

MIL (all excited): How about Poori-Saagu???!!? It's a famous combo in Bangalore, isn't it? I'm sure you have the recipe.... Let's make it tomorrow.

DIL : Sure! ( In her mind: What??!?!?! I can barely make tea/coffee.. How will I make poori saagu??!?!)

Later in the night, DIL digs into her set of recipes that her mom had written down for her and luckily... she finds the Saagu recipe there!!!! She mugs it up thoroughly before going to bed and hopes everything goes well the next morning

Scene II: Next morning in the kitchen....DIL is all nervous and blank. She is just not able to recollect the recipe.....

MIL: Lets start! what all do you need?

DIL: Err.... ummm.... coconut... ummm.... cloves... ummm....

MIL : How much?

DIL (trying to be as vague as possible) : A little.... as much as you would normally use!!!!

MIL: Should I roast them or grind it directly??

DIL: Roast them.... no no.. grind it directly... ummm... Actually, either ways should be fine.

By then, the MIL realizes that the DIL doesn't really know how to make it!!! She goes ahead and makes it herself with whatever little input she got from the DIL.... At the breakfast table, everyone at home seemed to have liked the saagu. MIL was so sweet that she went on telling everyone that it was her DIL who made it!!!!

And yes, you guessed it right!!!! It was me and my MIL that I was talking about all this while............ :)

This episode is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Saagu! I have come a long way since then and I have leant to make pretty good saagu now, but I still get embarrassed when I think of that episode.....My FIL still keeps pulling my leg sometimes about this!! :)

Posting this recipe on the request from one of my readers....Poori-Saagu has always been my fav combo. I wonder how I missed posting it all this while.... Thanx for reminding! Anyway, will stop yapping now and head straight to the recipe !

Ingredients:

2 cups Chopped mixed veggies (Beans, carrots, peas, potatoes)

1-2 tsp Oil

1/2 tsp Mustard seeds

3-4 Curry leaves

1/2 Onion (finely chopped)

A pinch of Hing

A pinch of turmeric

Salt as per taste

For the Masala:

2 - 3 tbsp Grated coconut

2"-3" Cinnamon stick

5-6 cloves

4-5 Black Peppercorns

2" Fresh Ginger

8-10 Cashews, soaked in warm water for about 15-20 mins

1/2 Onion

2-3 tsp Chana dahlia/ Putaani/Hurigadale

3-4 strands Cilantro

2-3 Green chilies

Method:

  1. Cook the veggies with some salt and water until done. You could even pressure cook them if you want.
  2. For the masala, grind all the ingredients to a smooth paste with some water. Cashews are added to give thickness to the gravy.
  3. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; Temper with mustard seeds, hing, turmeric, curry leaves.
  4. Add finely chopped onions and fry until done; Add cooked veggies and the masala paste.
  5. Mix and allow it to boil well; Add salt as required. Add water to get the desired consistency.
  6. Remove from stove and serve hot with pooris, dosa, chapati or even rice.

Serves: About 3-4 people

Prep time: about 30-40 mins

49 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

quite a dramatic scene :) and u got the sweetest MIL ever :)

amna said...

sweet story, nice recipe :)

Seena said...

It was interesting, just like you prepared for an exam! :D
Very sweet Amma..!

bee said...

dear ramya,
is your blog on sailu's taste of india?

if no, could you please add it on there so that i don't miss your posts?

http://connect.sailusfood.com/

Jayashree said...

Sounds like you've got a nice MIL....saagu looks good.

Rachel said...

Ha..guess most Dil's have had their share of this..

bird's eye view said...

That was a nice story but I have never made saagu with cashews and onions in the gravy - my recipe is quite different!

Sia said...

lol...that was a funny scence. i too have similar experience;)
sago looks delicious ramya. i have my mom's recipe. still in my draft. gotto post it soon:)

FH said...

If MIL wants something, let MIL make it for you! ;D

She sounds really sweet unlike mine. Saagu looks mouthwatering, my fav combo. Just looking at it makes me drool!!:))))))))

Richa said...

so mugging up the rcp did not work....lol
saagu looks very tempting :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds sweet Ramya! The saagu looks delicious - u've sure come a long way :-)
We love saagu at home - i make it for dose, poori or even chapathis! I have never added cashews though - that sounds really good, next time i will give saagu a shot with your recipe!

sra said...

Ramya, the taste of that comes through the picture!

Laavanya said...

That's so sweet of your MIL. The very first dish I made for my in-laws was Sabudhana Khichdi (wanted to make something diff.) and it was such a gooey mess but they were so kind and ate it and even said it was good :)
I was laughing so hard at the mugging part...
Saagu looks lovely and thick. Bookmarked to try.

Uma said...

Nice post. Good presentation.

Finla said...

Wow loved the MIL and DIL scene.
You have a great MIL.
Mine is also very very nice.
She is always there for me, actually she pputs me before her son. So that is great.
Love the Saagu

Ramya Kiran said...

thankoo so much ramya for the recipe..ur a star..i was craving for this kinda recipe for a long time.i am gettin ready to prepare for tonights dinner..thnx again.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice to read MIL - DIL :)

Me 2 i love the same cambo. Lovely pic :)

Seema said...

What a story & a sweet Mil! Saagu & Poori is a yum combination... love it!

Anonymous said...

Nice conversation....We make sagu similarly except the cashewnut. Will definetely try it next time I make.

Archy said...

Wow.. Ramya.. What a nice experience with MIL.. Me to had a same scene, but with some other recipe :) !!

Tumba thanks, Nanu ede recipe ella kade huduktha ne edde... :D, Bangalore nenapagi !!

musical said...

Cute post and such a lovely saagu recipe! Brought back fond memories of Bangalore!

EC said...

so sweet of ur mil to have said so...i guess all of us have such sweet memories..

Mythreyee said...

Sweet DIL deserves a Sweet MIL. Love the recipe.

Shilpa said...

Thats such a nice recipe. I love saagu. Will try this sometime.

Grihini said...

Saagu looks rich. I think the cashews makes all the difference.

Nimma mathu MIL kathe chennagide :)

DEEPA said...

nice recipe !!!and a very cute story!!

bha said...

Never had heard about this....thanks for introducing it to me...

Suganya said...

Hi Ramya....This is looking great...Nice picture and story....

Archana Doshi said...

HA Ha HA, had a good laugh. You made my night. BTW, the recipe is a good one as well. Does your MIL live with you! What fun it would have been if she does, your breakfast would be ready :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Everyone,
Thanx so much girls!!! That was very swet of you....

@Bee,
Have added it now! was somehow lazy and I kept postponing it all this while.. Thanx for reminding :)

EC said...

I tried out ur recipe skipping the onions, it came out well, thanks for the recipe. Have just posted the same on my blog too...

Anonymous said...

Interesting story!!..lol..I tried out ur receipie, it came out really well.

Anonymous said...

halo ramya...
just came across your blogs out the few cookery blogs ive come across ive started mine recently pls do visit my blog http://thoughtforfood-tei.blogspot.com/

Sanctified Spaces said...

I have studied in Kolar and Mysore.My neighbours from hubli used to make this recipe. They also used to make another saagu I do not know the name..it seemed liked it was gram dhal paste and onions in that...but yummy..do you know wat that it..??

Unknown said...

Hi Ramya....
I tried this sagu today with set dosa.....it was dilicious!!

Anonymous said...

Nice story! Excellent recipe...came out just great..thank you!!!

amna said...

i just posted this for RCI this month :)

Unknown said...

Hi, This exactly happened with me also... same.. but only difference i had got the receipe from my aunt on phone.. I am just married 3 months back..

R said...

Hi..The recipe sounds delicious. I have a question. Can I use kadle bele instead of putaani?

Kala Raghunath said...

good job! thank you for posting this for learners like me :)

Kala Raghunath said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jayanthi said...

Very nice recipe. everyone at home liked it :)

Vasudha said...

Thanks for the recipe. I tried it today and it was delicious. I used besan instead of chana dahlia. :)

Smita said...

Sweet story,wish all mothers-in-law are as lovely as yours!It was delicious!!My friends loved it!Thank you!

Unknown said...

It's Very Simple & Tasty

snavile said...

Hi Ramya
Yours is my oft found recipe blog. Loved the scene before the recipe :).

I made saagu without onion , ginger and hurigadale,
Lets see how it tastes.

Suma

Intellectual Property Lawyer Delhi said...

Nice blog and very informative thank you for sharing such a great blog.

Sushma Vasudeva said...

Thanks for this recipe! Comes out really good.

Unknown said...

You are sharing creative blog but needed some more information so please provide lot more content. thanks.
chowringhee satya niketan menu