Life has been pretty busy for me in the past few days and I haven't been doing much of cooking.... I have been sticking to recipes that get done fast and do not require too much preparation! Here's one such sabzi that I made today. Not that it gets done fast..... But its quite easy to make and takes very few common ingredients that would usually be available in your pantry.
3 Bitter Gourds/Karela/Hagalakayi , medium sized
1/2 tsp Haldi
4-5 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3-4 Curry leaves
A pinch of hing
1 tsp Rasam/Sambhar powder of your choice
2" Jaggery cube
3/4 tsp Tamarind paste OR 1 big lemon sized tamarind pulp soaked in warm water
1 tbsp Grated coconut, fresh/frozen
Salt as per taste
- Remove seeds from the bitter gourds and chop them finely; Add haldi,salt and mix well; Keep aside for about 30-40 mins.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan;Temper with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves.
- Squeeze out the juice from the chopped bitter gourd and add to the tempering.
- Cook on medium heat until they turn crisp and lightly brown in color; Saute regularly.
- Add rasam powder, jaggery, tamarind, coconut and mix well; Add salt if required and cook for couple of more minutes. At this point, you might want to add more tamarind or jaggery depending on the taste.
- Remove from stove and serve hot with rice or rotis. Enjoi!
Serves: 2 people
Prep Time: 20-25 mins