Hey folks, I hope you all had a wonderful Xmas!! I have for you today, another rice variety that's very common in Karnataka. Each region has its own recipe for Tomato bhaat and they all have their own distinct flavor. Here goes my version of the recipe..... Enjoi!
1 cup Long grain rice, washed and soaked for about 30 mins
3-4 Medium sized Tomatoes, finely chopped
1 Small Onion, chopped lengthwise
1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Clove-Cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp Paprika/Chili powder
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Jeera
2-3 tsp Ghee/oil
1-2 tsp Lemon juice
Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add Jeera seeds; Add the chopped onions after the jeera seeds splutter and fry till they turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for about 4-5 mins or until they turn mushy.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and all the remaining dry masalas and saute for a minute.
- Add about 1.5 cups of water and bring to boil; Add the rice and cook until done.
- Turn off the stove; Pour lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot with any raita or chutney of your choice.
Variation: If you do not have all the dry masalas, you could just add 1/2 tsp Garam masala, 1/2 tsp Pulav masala and 1/2 tsp paprika/chili powder and you would get almost the same taste!!!
Here are the different versions of Tomato Bhaat on different other blogs....