I was going thru' the earlier posts on my blog and I realized that I have very few chaat recipes..... So, here's one of my favorite chaat recipes. This one can be made with any kind of peas (fresh/frozen/dried). I have used frozen peas here. But it tastes best with dried peas that you get at the Indian stores!!
2 cups Peas, fresh/frozen
1 Small onion, finely chopped
1/2 Tomato, finely chopped
2-3 strands Cilantro, finely chopped
1 tsp Coriander powder
2-3 tsp Chaat Masala
1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Tamarind paste or 1/4 cup Tamarind juice
1 tsp Jaggery
1-2 tbsp Curds
Salt as per taste
- Add about half a cup of water to the tamarind paste and bring it to boil on stove; Add jaggery, salt and all the remaining dry masalas; Boil well. Adjust ingredients according to taste.
- Add the peas and boil further till the peas are cooked. The masala should thicken and the peas should blend well into the masala. Save some of the onions and tomatoes for garnishing and add the rest to the peas; Boil for another minute.
- Meanwhile, beat the curds in a bowl and keep aside. You can add a few spoons of water if the curd is too thick.
- Remove the peas from stove and transfer into separate plates. Pour a couple of spoons of curds on the peas. Sprinkle some chaat masala over it.
- Garnish with chopped onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Serve hot and enjoi!
Update: A suggestion from one of my readers: Adding something crunchy like Sev or crushed papdi, gives a new twist to this chaat!!!