Sweet Potatos are called 'Genasu' in Kannada. Back in India, my mom used to make a sweetish sabzi out of it which I really loved. But after coming here, Naveen never let me buy Sweet potatos saying they dont taste as good as the ones in India. But this time, I was deterimed to make it!! I got it home yesterday and tried it out myself. Naveen was right in a way.... Sweet potatos here are not as sweet as the ones in India. But since the sabzi I was making was meant to be sweetish, I adjusted it by adding a little jaggery/sugar. This sabzi goes really well with rice-rasam combo!! Also, in the traditional recipe sweet potatoes are mashed but here I preferred to keep them as pieces. Here's the recipe!! Hope you like it.....
This will also be my entry for Nupur's 'S' of A-Z of Indian Vegetables.
1 Sweet potato, medium sized
2 tbsp Grated coconut
2 tsp Ghee/butter
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Chana - Urad dal mixture
3-4 tbsp Sugar/Jaggery
1 tsp Salt
2-3 strands Cilantro
- Wash, peel and chop sweet potato into 1 " cubes. Cook then in a microwave with some water for about 10 mins or until they are cooked. You can even pressure cook them. Remove excess water and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a kadai. Add mustard seeds and the dal mixture. Add cooked sweet potatos after the dal turns golden brown. Saute regularly.
- Add salt, sugar and mix well. Adjust the sweetness according to your taste.
- Add grated coconut, cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice-rasam combo or even rotis and enjoi!!!