About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ellu Bella

        

Sankranti wishes to all Mane Adige readers!! Sankranti, as you all know, is the festival of harvest.In Bangalore-Mysore regions of Karnataka, this festival is celebrated by exchanging "Ellu-Bella" with family and friends. Young girls get dressed and go house hopping for Ellu-Bella, sugar cane and other goodies. For more information on the festival, check out Wiki . Will head straight to the recipe now...

Ingredients:

1 cup Copra/Kobri/Dry coconut, with its skin peeled and chopped into very fine and uniform pieces

1 cup Hurigadale/Chana Dhalia/ Putaani

1 cup Peanuts, dry roasted and skin peeled off

1 Cup Finely and uniformly chopped Jaggery

Quarter to half cup Sesame seeds/Til/Ellu (White Til)

Method:

  1. Dry roast the sesame seeds until they turn golden brown in color; Keep aside.
  2. Halve the roasted  peanuts and keep aside; Note: Make sure not to burn the peanuts while roasting them; Ellu bella looks good when the peanuts are lightly golden in color. Peeling off the skin is a lot easier after roasting the peanuts.
  3. Mix all the ingredients together; Store in air tight containers and relish.

14 comments:

FH said...

Hi Ramya, happy 2010 and happy Shankranthi to you and family. Ellu Bella nodi bayalli neeru barta ide!! Enjoy madi! :))

chef and her kitchen said...

Happy shankranti...ellu bella is making me home sick...missing that festival here...lovely click

Ash said...

I think this is your post after those lovely undes.... Where were u all these days???? Hope ur kido is fine.... Anyways Wish U & Your Family A very Happy New Year!!!!!

That Ellu bella is awesomely presented & captured too..... It looks beautiful & gets anybody tempting....

Good to see u... I started my blog seeing u grow.... & when I entered u were not to be seen around.... Missed all those preps... I used to save your preps for my future ventures.... & did prepare many too.... But good, u r back again...
Hope to c u often... with posts...

Happy Sankranti!!!!!

Ash..
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Dori said...

Lovely, sounds tasty :)

Unknown said...

Hi Ramya,
A very happy Sankranti to you too..

Priya Suresh said...

Ramya, happy sankranthi wishes to u...Ellu bella looks fantastic and beautiful click..

Mangala Bhat said...

Happy 2010 Happy sankranti ..looks soo good!

Kannada Cuisine said...

Sankranti Shubhashaya Ramya :) and to your little one as well..

Lakshmi said...

Nimagu ellu bella habbada shubhashayagalu.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Happy Shankranthi to you and ur fly.

Madhumathi said...

i think you should also keep the cut cobri & bella in the sun for 4-5 hours on 2 days... for tht crispy effect... my mom does it..

Anjum said...

I am a hardcore Bangalorean.I miss the place everytime I see ur blog :-)
Lovely recipes.
Do drop by at http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

Ramya said...

Hi Ramya!

What a coincidence!! my name's also ramya n my husband's name's also naveen...

anyways....i've jus started following ur blogs...n i really found them interesting... i've never cooked all my life until i got married last yr... i must tell u...ur recipes r really heplful... so much experimenting...jus lik i do... gr8 job ramya... i'd love to read more n learn more!!

snavile said...

Hi Ramya,

Shiv rathre came and went. Just saw your ellu bella blog.
Yes, Madhumati is right the bella and cobbari while being cut is kept open to sun so they make it crispier.
The hardest part I found was to rid the groundnuts of their 'moogu'. I use the nut crackers to cut the bella. I get the very tiny achhu bella - otherwise the unde bella crumbles and is too moist to retain it's integrity while cutting.

One other thing I miss sankranthi in us is the sugar cane and sakkare achhu

suma