Hey everybody! Hope y'all had a safe and fun filled long weekend. We spent ours at New York!! Amma Appa were awestruck by all the tall and beautiful buildings, the busy crowds on the streets, abound dining and shopping options..... They loved it all :)
And btw, have I told you guys that we are moving back to India in a couple of weeks?? In case I haven't mentioned it yet.... Naveen and I are moving back to India for good!!!! :) By the end of this month, we'd be in India among family and friends.....Oh, I am so very excited!!!! But before that, we have a whole lot of packing and winding up to do here.The next two weeks are gonna be really busy!!! In the next couple of months, I may not be able to blog as regularly as I would want to... But I'm sure you folks will understand! :)
Anyway, coming to today's recipe... Gasagase Payasa is very traditional and authentic to Karnataka. As most of you would know, poppy seeds are the source of opium. So, don't be surprised if you find yourself dozing off after having a hot cup of Gasagase Payasa :D. There are different ways of making Gasagase Payasa..... some people soak the rice and poppy seeds, while some others roast and powder it. Here's how we make it in our family....
4 tsp Poppy seeds
1 tsp White Rice, uncooked
1 cup Grated Coconut, fresh/frozen
1/4 cup Desiccated coconut/Copra/Kobbari
3-4 tbsp Jaggery
1/4 cup Milk
1/2 tsp Elaichi, powdered
4-5 strands of Saffron (optional)
8-10 Cashews/Almonds (optional)
- Dry roast poppy seeds and rice until they turn crisp and lightly change color.
- Finely powder the roasted poppy seeds and rice in a blender without adding any water.
- Add grated coconut, desiccated coconut, some water and grind to a smooth paste.
- Add half a cup of water and strain the paste through a finely perforated strainer; Retain the liquid - this will make the payasam later.
- Transfer the coarse residue into a blender; Add some more water and grind again to a smooth paste.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 about 3-4 times.
- Add jaggery to the strained liquid and boil on low-medium heat until all the jaggery dissolves; Remove from stove.
- Dissolve saffron strands in 1/4 cup of warn milk and set aside for 5-10 mins.
- Add powdered elaichi,warm milk with saffron and mix well; Serve hot and relish.
Prep Time: About 40-45 mins;
Serves: About 3-4 people;