About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Heerekayi Bajji/ Sambandha (Chinese Okra chutney)

      

Did you expect to see some kinda pakoras or deep fried savories here, when you heard the name "Bajji"??!?! :) Sorry to have disappointed you, but this Bajji is more like a chutney or a thick coconut based curry that is served as a side dish with hot steamed rice, dosas, idlis or even rotis.

This traditional Brahmin dish is called "Bajji" in the Mysore-Bangalore and Sirsi-Sagar regions of Karnataka and "Sambandha ( or Sammandha)" is what it is known as, in the Mangalore-Udupi regions!! The speciality of this kind of chutney is that it can be re-heated and boiled without much of a change in its taste.

While I have used Chinese Okra ( Heerekai, in Kannada) here, you could also use methi leaves, snake gourd, beetroot, carrots etc.

Ingredients:

1 cup Chinese Okra/Heerekayi, chopped into 1" chunks

2 tsp Til/Ellu/Sesame seeds (I use the white ones)

1/2 cup Grated coconut, fresh/frozen

4-5 Dry Red Chilies, low spiced

1 tsp Urad Dal (Optional)

1/4 tsp Tamarind paste

1/2 tsp Jaggery

2 tsp Oil

1/2 tsp Mustard seeds

3-4 Curry leaves

A pinch of Hing

Salt as per taste

Method:

  1. Cook the Veggie chunks with some salt and water until done.
  2. Dry roast the sesame seeds, red chilies and the urad dal until they turn golden brown in color.
  3. Grind the roasted masalas with coconut, tamarind, salt and jaggery to a smooth paste; Add the cooked veggie and pulse a couple of times until well blended.
  4. Temper with mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves; Serve with steamed rice (and a spoon of ghee or coconut oil), dosas, idlis, or even rotis.

Prep Time: About 15-20 mins;

Serves: About 2 people;

Variation:

  • Instead of adding tamarind, you could add some beaten yogurt, for the tanginess, and make a gravy out of the dish; Serve with hot steamed rice.
  • You could also use green chilies instead of dry red chilies to get a slightly different flavor and color.

20 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

yeah...i was wondering why bajji is looking like a dip!! :)

the word, "Sammandha" sounds like the chammanthi of kerala, which is a dry version of chutney....

Finla said...

I never knew about this dish, is chinese okra diferent to theone we get back in india.

Priya Suresh said...

WOw this is new to me...chutney with chinese okra sounds delicious..

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow something new and looks gr8.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Wow I love chutneys like this but somewhere I go wrong I add a lil more tamarind or coocnut (my Mom keeps guiding me all the time) Now I feel I can do better, your dish give me all the courage cos its os tempting and I am craving to have them...

Unknown said...

Oh yea, Disaapointed :(
I was scrolling down to see Heerekayi Bajji.
Chutney looks very deicious Ramya....

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Heerekayi bajji ..never tried ... nice recipe ramya

raaji said...

haa u reminded me of my grandmas chutney.she used to make it in pestle..it tasted real good than the one we make in mixer...nice one ramya.

Lakshmi said...

aaah! I thought heerekayi bonda will be waiting for me :(, but chutney looks equally delicious :)

Recipeswap said...

This looks very tasty.Love heerekayi in any form!

Kannada Cuisine said...

I was wondering what Sambandha could be.. (it means relations otherwise right!)
Bajji yes, familiar with it in all forms including Badanekai bajji!
The heerekai bajji looks absolutely yummy

Anonymous said...

It is sure is tasty by the looks of it! :-)

Archy said...

Hey, never heard an tried heerekayi bajji.. Looks nice an need to try soon !!

Cynthia said...

I have never had Chinese okra before and thanks for the education on this dish.

Chitra said...

Cool blog! I stumbled upon it while looking up for aamboDe! Looking forward to some more recipies (burrrrrp!) :-)

Vishali said...

Chinese Okra chutney looks delicous.....and a very new idea too...

LifenSpice said...

I love Sambandha. remember my mom making this:)

A Virtual Vegetarian said...

What is Chinese Okra?

Savi-Ruchi said...

Ramya..,I just saw your recipe & photo being copied here. http://www.kannadaa.com/2010/03/heerekayi-bajji-sambandha-chinese-okra.html

Are you aware of this? Sorry, if I have troubled you.

raji said...

Lovely recipie.I mean I had heard about this ,but never knew it was this easy.So I am going to try this.