I know, I know..... Pudina pulao is a very common and simple dish and almost everybody knows how to make it. But this time, my pulao turned out so good that I was tempted to post it :). I picked the basic recipe from Mrs. Chandri Bhat's collection on Bawarchi and made a few modifications according to my taste. So, here goes the recipe... Enjoi!
1 cup Pudina / Mint leaves
2 cups Basmati/ Long grain Rice
1 Onion, medium sized
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Jeera/Cumin seeds
2" Cinnamon stick
1/2 Green chilli
1 Dry red chilli, low spiced
1/2 tsp Black pepper
1 tsp Lemon juice
2 tbsp Ghee/Butter
1/2 tsp Ginger-garlic paste (optional)
Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak rice in water for about 30 mins; Cook rice such that each grain is separate and keep aside.
- Dry roast the red chilli and black pepper; Grind it with the mint leaves and green chilli in a blender. DO NOT add water while grinding.
- Heat ghee or butter in a wok and add mustard seeds. Add Jeera, cinnamon and cloves after the mustard seeds splutter.
- Chop onions into thin strips and add to the tempering. Add the ginger-garlic paste to this. Add the pudina masala when the onions are almost done. Saute until the onions change color and are completely cooked.
- Add salt, rice, lemon juice and mix well. Remove from stove and serve hot!